Monday, January 2, 2017

Song of the Day--"Mona Lisas and Mad Hatters" by Elton John




"Mona Lisas and Mad Hatters" by Elton John was recorded in January 1972 and appeared on the album Honky Chateau. This YouTube video features the original song, with images of people, places and street art of New York City from the 1970s to the present. It is a fitting and beautiful enhancement to this incredible song, Elton John's very best, in my opinion.

According to Wikipedia, the lyrics were written by Bernie Taupin during his first visit to New York City when he heard a gun go off near his hotel window. link 

I find the lyrics far less cryptic than  most of Bernie Taupin's songs. Although his description of New Yorkers as "Mona Lisas and Mad Hatters" is odd, it somehow works with Elton John's exquisite melody to express emotions far deeper than words. 



My interpretation of the song is that although it initially paints a less than flattering picture of New York City, which was infamously crime-ridden in the 1970s, it is ultimately hopeful and positive. The song's protagonist discovers the reality "that rose trees never grow in New York City", and describes what he has experienced there as "this trash can dream come true. You stand at the edge while people run you through." But he is also grateful for the good people he has met: "I thank the Lord there's people out there like you."


Although the "subway's no way for a good man to go down", he admits that "This Broadway's got...a lot of songs to sing. If I knew the tunes I might join in." And although he feels like an outsider, "I'll go my way alone", he embraces the city and his future there when he says "My own seeds shall be sown in New York City," and reiterates "I thank the Lord for the people I have found."
 

Photo by Robert Pastryk (link)



According to Wikipedia link  Elton John has described the song as one of his all-time favorites. He delivered a heartfelt rendition at "The Concert for New York City", held at Madison Square Garden just one month after the terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001. He dedicated the song to emergency workers and their families, as well as to New York City.

To me, this song is a lifelong friend and is cozy music at its best. It never gets old or worn out; it's like cuddling up in a warm, favorite blanket with a cup of tea. It fills me always with a sweet sense of love and hope and longing and gratitude. It always makes me feel a little bit more alive, and thankful for the gifts I've been given and especially for "the people I have found."

 

Photo by Foster & Asher (link)

No comments:

Post a Comment